Today was the day that Apple’s CEO Tim Cook got to announce his first product without the God Jobs looking over him. How did he do? Read on.
There were a lot of rumors about the release of an iPhone 5, yet alas there was none. Instead we get an iPhone 4 with more horsepower, new software, and a beautiful new camera. Here is a rundown:
- There are 16GB, 32GB, 64GB versions that are $199, $299, $399 respectively
- White and Black
- World phone:
- UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz);
GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
- CDMA EV-DO Rev. A (800, 1900 MHz)4
- 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi (802.11n 2.4GHz only)
- Bluetooth 4.0 wireless technology
- 8MP camera with video stabilization and a larger aperture for faster photos and better low light photos
- Airplay Mirroring to Apple TV @ 720p
- Siri digital assistant (this was one of the best parts see details below)
Siri was one of the best parts of today’s announcement. Siri is a piece of software that will interpret your speech into tasks within iOS. If you need to set an alarm for tomorrow at 7AM simply activate Siri and say, “wake me up tomorrow at 7AM.” Some of the other examples that were given are things like: “Any good burger joints around here?” “Remind me to make a dentist appointment when I get to work” “Tell my wife I’m running late.” “Remind me to call the vet.”
Overall its the same phone with better guts and now it’s available on AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint. While the iPhone 4S was the top name on the credits, I tend to think that Siri was the real star. If the iPhone 4S on Sprint has a reasonable tethering plan I would almost think about switching for Siri alone.
The iPhone 4S wasn’t the only thing Apple announced today. There will be a white iPod touch (no hardware changes except the color) that will start at $200 along with the black and a few tweaks to the UI of the iPod Nano which will start at $130.
Great announcement and Tim Cook did a great job being the frontman. If you would like more info head over to Apple’s site for a full rundown.
All photos courtesy of Apple, inc.